This is NOT for you if:
- You want to learn atelier methods like sight-size, and spend dozens of hours measuring and copying.
- You want to do gesture drawing and work expressively with no regard for proportion.
- You want a quick trick like tracing or projecting to make it look like you know how to draw.
This IS PERFECT for you if:
- You want to truly learn how to observe the figure and enjoy the process of drawing!
- You want to create high level work without letting perfectionism stop you.
- You want a teacher who knows her $&*# but is also a regular human who also creates a sucker every now and then and is willing to share both failures and successes with you!
I want you to experience a change in perspective.
The greatest gift of learning to draw is the power of observation and controlling focus. It's very much like meditation: When you're able to shift your attention to the model, the symbolism and assumptions in your mind fall away, and what is left is the beauty, order, and structure of the human form. It can be an emotional experience as you connect with what's truly in front of you, and this is the key to realistic drawing.
Through sharing the tools to train your observational ability as well as technical drawing skills, you will transform your ability to see and therefore draw differently.
I have developed a clear and unique path to learning how to draw the figure that anyone at any ability level can achieve success with. You can do this without a studio or even a dedicated art space, any time of the day or night, and with very little in the way of materials. And, I will be there to personally guide you along the way with lessons, demonstrations, and direct feedback on your work.
New for 2021: Reference Photos and Live Virtual Meetings!
Hundreds of Photo References
Access to a huge selection of high quality, nude figurative references, with lighting specifically created for drawing. New models added regularly, with occasional props and costumes.
Live Demos and Group Drawing
Participate in twice monthly virtual life drawing sessions with fellow artists, regular live demonstrations from Lacey, and group meetings for input, critique, and community!
The course begins with 16 core lessons and exercises, divided into 4 sections, over 16 weeks. Work is recommended to be done in charcoal on toned paper, but other media including digital can also be employed.
In addition to these 16 concepts, bonus materials are frequently added including lessons on how to draw hands and feet, incorporate small amounts of color, and how to employ a different medium or a use specific technique.
Each lesson consists of:
- Instructional videos
- Demonstration videos
- Written and downloadable concept PDFs and illustrations
- Exercises and projects to complete
- Access to an online community where you can ask questions, post your work for review, and meet your fellow online classmates!
This course is designed so that you can complete all the exercises 100% at home from photos. Even the “Observing from Life” section can be done without a live model! However, you will also receive instructions for when you are able to attend life drawing sessions or otherwise have a model pose for you. You will only need a minimum of materials, a drawing board, and a simple easel. (I will recommend one that stores really easily and only costs around $30.)